Sunday, 13 September 2009

Another Day At Snapper Rock

Old Friends has it's uses.

A girl I haven't seen since primary school emailed me to say that a mutual friend Andrew Lowe had 'passed away' .

After confirming with the Herald website deaths. Yes, it was the guy I grew up with in Tirau, less than a month younger than me, he taught me to fish for Rainbows with spinners in the Waihau and Oraka streams. He and his Dad taught me to shoot rabbits with 22 and shotgun - he could spot rabbits a mile off.
Every Guy Fawkes was like Apocalypse Now on our street. Forget Roman Candles at Mission Bay, this was the days of cracker fights with thunder bangers and rockets fired from lamp stands. Acorn fights had 1 tennis racquet per side.
He loved rugby, later playing London Kiwis as a winger, back at primary we played in All Black, thought we were bloody cool. We won the inter-school soccer against the Putaruru schools in our last year at Tirau before High School. And generally had great fun growing up in the country.
How's this for an obit:

Andrew Kevin. Daddy, I still can't believe that you are gone. I'll miss you watching me play netball. I'll play my hardest for you. I will always love you with all my heart. I love you daddy. Monica xoxo

Eagle flew overhead and hundreds were in tears.

No cause of death mentioned at the service, closed casket, Pink's "Please Don't Leave Me" lead to an obvious conclusion.

I wish we shared a few more beers together mate.

No comments: