Wednesday, 28 April 2010

ANZAC Dawn Parade in Hamilton

I was one of the participants at

Hamilton's Anzac dawn service where more than 8000 people gathered under thick fog to remember those fallen

Observations:

Anthems

Advance Australia Fair was sung before ours. I thought it was a nice touch to acknowledge the A of the day and was impressed but not surprised by the volume. An uneasy feeling came upon me as the familiar notes of our dirge began.
Question: What proportion of the NZ'ers among the 8,000 know the maori version?
None around me. You'd have thought here were 10 times more Aussies than Kiwis there.
Sad but again predictable.
Can we change the song and get everyone singing before we change the flag?

The Fog and the Fly Past



When the RSA chaplain said there'd be a fly past by a C130 of the RNZAF. I looked at those crossed beams and the Waikato fog soup and thought:

"If they need 800m vis, I hope they don't come too low".

Minutes later the Herc droned overhead

"That sounds reasonably high up, their altimeter better be accurate"

Then a couple of minutes later the beast thundered over us so low I nearly ducked. Good effort guys.

No comments: