Tuesday, 12 February 2008

Drought Over

Environment Waikato chairman Peter Buckley who farms in North Waikato said "I've lived and farmed around here for 56 years and I've never seen it like this 1973/74 was pretty bad as was 1997/98 but nothing like this."

The pasture on my 30 min drive across the Waikato each day is looking just like the Scotsman Valley (near here) bottom photo. The bonus is my tan hasn't been this good since the summer I pulled ragwort on Mrs Johnson's horse farm, and the blackberries are thriving. They taste great in apple crumble despite my scolding for not putting sugar with the fruit, and only half a cup with the flour, but that's why God invented icecream. Yummy.
Newsflash: Today I was drenched in my 50m walk from staffroom to office at lunchtime, and this evening had to buy 2 umbrellas from TWH in Matamata (Bedford Park looks the same as it did in my All Black strip at Saturday Football when I was 5-12) after standing under a tree for half an hour in the rain watching football (as in Ronaldo) practice at P Park.
I reckon here in the Waikato we've still another 2 months of summer to go though.

No comments: